Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Christmas in July Quick Reviews (Christmas Crazy/Crazier, Christmas with the Andersons, Tardis Yule Log)

Christmas Crazy (2011)
Repeat Viewing | Stream - Pluto Christmas in July Channel

Fun travel documentary visiting a load of neat Christmas attractions across the USA (as of 2010). Nice background viewing for the holiday season.



Christmas Crazier (2012)
Repeat Viewing | Stream - Pluto Christmas in July Channel

More of the same as above. Circa 2011 this time.

Christmas with the Andersons
First Viewing | Streaming Hulu


Confession time: I have a low tolerance for the modern made for TV / straight to streaming Christmas movie. If you’d told me twenty years ago that that each holiday season would bring scores of brand new original Christmas movies I would have considered it a wish come true, but todays’ Lifetime/Hallmark/Up style holiday films have turned out more like a tinsel entombed version of The Monkey’s Paw.

I don’t really consider most of these offerings to be actual stand alone films any more, I see them as individual instalments in an anthology series that airs all night, every night from Halloween until New Years. Love America Style meets Black Mirror, filmed in Canada, or whichever state is offering the biggest tax break, with whatever change the producers could scounge from their couch cushions the week before filming, with a director who alternates between low budget Christmas flicks, lower budget slasher horrors and no budget softcore skinamax fare..(Gross generalizations all, I admit, but not thaaaat far from the truth). I’ve watched dozens of them and I’m simply burned out.

So, even keeping in mind my low expectations and cynical nature I found Christmas with the Andersons to be a disappointing waste of time.

BBC America’s Doctor Who Tardis Yule Log (2017)
First time viewing | BBC America - DVR



I’m a huge TV Yule Log aficionado but since so many air at, or very near to, Christmas I don’t often have time to sit and bask in their festive ambiance. This BBC America offering has been sat on my DVR undisturbed since 2017 and I figured it would be a nice palate cleanser after the bitter pill of Christmas with the Andersons, and it was. Simple and frankly on the low end of such things it was still pleasant enough and was a pleasant Christmas in July surprise for the DR Who fans in the house.

End of night results…

The Naughty; Definitely Christmas with the Andersons
The Nice: The Christmas Crazy docs… especially the first.