Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Yule Logged (The Christmas Thief, Reba's Christmas in Tune, Christmas Miracles, Kirstie and Phil, Bonacini, Babes in Toyland, Smurfs, Disney on Ice,,,)

 


The Christmas Thief (2021)

Just when I thought I’d washed my hands of this sort of holiday cheese they pull me back in. I don’t know if it's the PTSD from Santa Inc. or just the festive spirit softening my humbug heart but I kinda enjoyed this Ion original. It’s a light mystery romance that tackles the genre in a far more satisfactory way than hat crummy Hallmark one earlier this season. I only watched it because it was on at my Mother-in-laws and I was sort of trapped, luckily it was pretty decent.


Reba McEntire’s Christmas in Tune (2021)

Another contentious reunion story this one with Reba and John Schneider as a hitmaking duo who broke up both their personal and professional relationships long ago,  Whenever the lead pair are on screen it’s pretty good, for what it is, everyone else seems a bit out of their depth. I gave up half way through, not because it stunk but it was dull and overly familiar. My wife liked it though.




A Christmas Tree Miracle (2013)

Not very good. 


Miracle on Christmas (2020)

Not very good either but better than Christmas Tree Miracle. Faint praise indeed.


I hit up Pluto on demand for some cooking and craft shows...


Watts Up for the Holidays (2016)

Basic Xmas cooking 101 from a a fella that reads, to me, as sort of a Canadian beta-Guy Fieri. If you’ve never cooked Christmas dinner before, or watched someone cook it, or watched another show about cooking it then this is right up your alley.

Not a bad show but nothing great.


Kirstie and Phil’s Perfect Christmas (2010)

Charming and informative four part series featuring UK Christmas Queen Kirstie Allsopp and her Location, Location, Location co-host Phil Spencer plan the perfect holiday celebrations. Great fun  and highly recommended, though the eleven year old product reviews may not be super helpful anymore.


Christmas with Bonacini (2019)

More Canadian content but this time with far more interesting recipes and superior instruction. A chef who’s new to me that I’m looking forward to watching more of.


Then it was time for a trip through the archives...


Babes in Toyland (1986)

Drew Barrymore and Keanu Reeves headline this somewhat bizarre 80’s take on Victor Herbert’s classic operetta. 

Not offensively bad but nowhere near good either.

The weirdness might be enough to hold one’s attention.


Frosty the Snowman (1969)

I must have watched this classic special multiple times a year with my kids for a couple of decades and it’s still nice to throw on in the background now and again.



Crafts for Christmas with Lynette Jennings

From a 90’s VHS, I’m assuming this played on Discovery or one of its related networks back in the day. It’s a straightforward instructional with some good info and useful techniques.


ITV Schools - My World: Christmas

Children’s TV from a simpler age



The City That Forgot About Christmas (1974)

Terrific voice cast, including Charles Nelson Reilly, Sebastian Cabot and Casey Kasem, in an okay seventies animated special.


The Smurfs Christmas Special (1982)

We were never a Smurf family so this one doesn't much for me. It’s not bad, I’m just not a major fan of the license.


Disney Christmas on Ice (1990)

Skaters mingling with Mickey, Minnie, Roger Rabbit, Tigger, Pooh, and the rest of the Disney crew include Peggy Fleming, Katerina Witt, Tai Babilonia & Randy Gardner, and Scott Hamilton. This was a nice wholesome special, at least until the some crappy pop group called The Party shows up.