Monday, November 1, 2010

Bethlehem Skyline Vol 1 & Vol 2 (Old and New Christmas Music)

Bethlehem Skyline Vol 1 & Vol 2

Recently, while perusing Stubby's incalculably essential Christmas release list at The Fa, I came across an entry for the newly released Bethlehem Skyline Vol.2 compilation from Centricity/Word and realized I was woefully unfamiliar with 2007's Vol 1. So, a quick trip to MOG later and situation remedied. I've spent a couple of days sampling both of these consistently strong CCM offerings and I'm impressed. I don't generally listen to worship-related pop music but a number of my favorite holiday albums do come, not unsurprisingly I suppose, from the various corners of the instperational music world and I can see both Bethlehem Skyline Vol 1 and Vol 2  fitting right in right near the top of the pile.

Bethlehem Skyline Vol 1
Top tracks for me so far include the set's opener Downhere's "How Many Kings" Jamie Jamgochian's "O Come O Come Emmanuel" and "Come Thou Long Expected", Jason Gray's slightly gritty take on the modern classic "Mary Did You Know?", Circleslide's  " Joy to the World" and  Lanae' Hale's lovely take on "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

Preview  /Buy CD at Amazon
Preview / Buy MP3 Album at Amazon

Napster Users Listen 
MOG Users Listen



Bethlehem Skyline Vol  2
Not only is the sequel just as good as the first in the series, based on my first few listens at least, I think it might be even better.
So far I'm really digging  "Give it Away" and "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree" from Me In Motion,  Downhere's "Chrstmas in our Hearts", Jason Lane's "Love Has a Name", Lanae' Hale's supurb "Carol of the Bells" and quirky and charming "Starving Artist Christmas" and Sixteen Cities' "Morningstar"


Preview  /Buy CD at Amazon
Preview / Buy MP3 Album at Amazon

Napster Users Listen
MOG Users Listen


If I had to choose just one of the pair I'd probably go with Volume 2 but it's a close race.