Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Yule Logged: Darkwing Duck, A Wish For Christmas, Mercy Christmas, Growing Pains




Darkwing Duck - It’s a Wonderful Leaf (1991)

Darkwing’s nemesis (I assume, It’s been years since my kid’s watched this in the room next to my home office where it was mostly background noise) goes full Grinch and turns Christmas Trees evil to ruin the town’s festive spirit.

Christmas Episode or Special? Episode

Am I familiar with the series? Vaguely

Is it Christmassy? Loud and slightly obnoxious but yes.

Would I Rewatch? I wouldn’t throw a lamp at the TV if it was on.




A Wish For Christmas (2016)

Lacey Chabert stars as an underappreciated creative given the gift of confidence by Santa himself. Passable office romance.

Is it Hallmark? Yes

Does it look like Christmas? Sure

Does it sound like Christmas? Pretty much

Does it feel like Christmas? Enough

Did it make me cry? Nope

Did I finish it? Yep, with a few fast forwards

Is it a good movie? Not particularly

Is it a good Christmas Movie? Fair.




Mercy Christmas (2017)

(No synopsis since this flick is a one-trick pony plot-wise. Try to go in blind.)

I watched a bunch of terrible holiday horrors over Halloween and I told myself never again. But this popped up and I figured why not. And while I never need to see it again this wasn’t awful. It’s a dark comedy, low budget but a couple of good performances. Its greatest flaw, apart from the deranged idea to make a Christmas horror film in the first place, is its length. This would have made a great episode of an anthology but at nearly an hour and a half it drags. First act, third act  - done and dusted.

So if you must watch a low budget horror comedy this Christmas, this one is probably as good as it gets.




Growing Pains  A Christmas Story S1 E12 (1985)

Really off putting. An obnoxious kid who doesn’t believe in Santa, comedic "kids negotiating with suicidal Santa" scene. No thanks.

Christmas Episode or Special? Episode

Am I familiar with the series? Minimally

Is it Christmassy? A little

Would I Rewatch? No