Saturday, November 9, 2019

Yule Logged: Thanksgiving Cooking Shows Part one



Culinarily, at Casa Kringle, there’s a fair amount of crossover between Thanksgiving and various Christmastime meals - Turkey, stuffing, sprouts, a  couple of casseroles, cranberries  - so Thanksgiving cooking programs kinda do double duty.

I’m not a huge fan of holiday cooking competition shows as recipe inspiration - too much deconstruction, reinvention, expectation subversion so, while my wife watches them religiously, I don’t really pay them that much attention. That said I did watch a couple of Thanksgiving themed episodes of Guy's Grocery Games, and they were okay. Ultimate Thanksgiving Challenge, on the other hand, I can do without.




Giada’s Holiday Handbook -  Friendsgiving Cocktail Party S1 E2 (2015)

Recipes

Some neat ideas. Her Turkey Waldorf Bites are on my shortlist for new things to try.




Pati’s Mexican Table  - Turkey Day S5 E11

Recipes

Some decent ideas to add some south of the border flair to your Thanksgiving day table. Might use the crema instead of heavy cream idea this year.



America’s Test Kitchen - Outsmarting Thanksgiving (2017)

Recipes

Over the years I’ve transitioned from a Christopher Kimball super fan to a decidedly luke warm feeling but I have to admit the post-Kimball ATC is just so much blah to me. I pretty much tuned this Thanksgiving episode out a few minutes in. I sure the recipes are sound but…



The Kitchen  -  Friendsgiving Feast S15 E5

Recipes

Guest cooks Ree Drummond, Eddie Jackson and Trisha Yearwood join the Kitchen crew. Solid recipes, nothing amazing, but some good ideas.



The French Chef
Turkey Ballotine S3 E11 / Cold Turkey Galantine S3 E12 / Roast Turkey S9 E3

Classic instructional cooking from Julia’s early years. Refreshed my turkey de-boning technique with the first episode but the second episode’s aspic laden dish is one to enjoy seeing being made but which I want no part of on my holiday table. Closed out my mini-binge with classic roast turkey for a crowd.