Thursday, November 21, 2019

Yule Logged: Thanksgiving - Charlie Brown, Garfield, Burns and Allen, Casper





A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (1973)

A classic, obviously, but at this point I’ve seen it literally a hundred times and, to be candid, it’s the weakest of the Peanuts Big Three. If you’re still on 50 views or fewer it’s a must-see.




The Mayflower Voyagers (1988)

While I’ve seen the OG Peanuts Thanksgiving special many, many, many times, I’ve probably only seen this retelling of the Mayflower story a couple of dozen times so it actually played better this year. Recommended.





Garfield's Thanksgiving (1989)

When my kids were growing up this was probably their favorite Thanksgiving show and it still holds up okay.





The Burns and Allen Show -Thanksgiving (1951)

Don’t let the kinescope quality put you off, this is a classic sitcom and a solid Thanksgiving episode. I also recommend seeking out the duos holiday radio shows from the 30’s and 40’s - great stuff!




Casper the Friendly Ghost - Do or Diet (1953)

Similar to the Daffy Duck toon I reviewed earlier, this one finds our floaty friend trying to de-plump a turkey before the ax falls.