Friday, November 21, 2008

On First Listen: New Christmas Albums by Los Lonely Boys, David Arkenstone & Mary-Chapin Carpenter

Here are my first impressions of three new holiday releases...

Los Lonely Boys - Christmas Spirit

Anchored by the suburb track "I've Longed For Christmas" this rootsy 10 track stocking stuffer from Los Lonely Boys is destined for heavy rotation in my holiday music mix this year. At this, admittedly early moment, "I've Longed For Christmas" may be my favorite new rock Christmas song of the year.

Press Repeat:
I've Longed For Christmas, She'll Be My Everything For Christmas, Carol of the Bells, Away in a Manger



David Arkenstone - Christmas Lounge

Generic melding of new age noodling and "lounge" beats. I expected more from Akenstone for some reason, but this left absolutely no impression on me - of course your mileage may vary.



Mary-Chapin Carpenter - Come Darkness Come Light: Twelve Songs of Christmas

Beautifully crafted, mostly acoustic, offering from Mary-Chapin Carpenter offers a subdued and gracious collection of songs that could easily have been subtitled "devotions, reflections and lullabies". Heartfelt and highly recommended.