Sunday, September 8, 2019

Pregaming Christmas - The Hairy Bikers Home For Christmas




The Hairy Bikers Home For Christmas 

A pair of  hirsute bikers who love to cook and are hugely popular in the UK, and no doubt elsewhere.

Taking a look at episodes from this 2017 series to see if there’s anything that sounds like it could fit in on our family's holiday table this year. And, even if all the recipes aren’t my cup of tea, it’s still great fun watching the bikers cook and banter, with each other and their guests.

Click the episode titles to be whisked to the BBC recipe page for that episode!


Episode 1 The Big Day

Not a great start. A nut loaf? Kimchee? On to the next show which is episode 5, at least that's the next one I’ve seen.


Episode 5 Winter Sun  


Leftover Turkey Jambalaya and Sweet Potato fritters: I’m sure it's delicious,  but I’ve got Cajuns in the family and this wouldn’t cut it.

The Lamb Tagine also sounds great but wouldn’t be a holiday dish around here.


The Chocolate, Orange and Spice Fondue, on the other hand, is getting made this year. I'm thinking tree trimming party and then if it’s good either Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve  - We usually do traditional cheese, then chocolate,  fondues at New Years anyway so this is an easy addition.

(Slightly funny fondue digression - my family has been doing fondue for New Year's Eve forever. I imagine it started in the early sixties when my folks got the obligatory Fondue pot as a wedding present. My wife’s family also does fondue, and not just on special occasions. Imagine my surprise, back in the day when my wife and I were first dating and her folks invited me over for some fondue.  I showed up primed for some cheesy goodness to find a pot of scalding oil in the middle of the table and a dish full of raw meat at every place setting -  not what I was expecting. )

Episode 6 Unexpected Guests

It’s always neat when you see an idea being presented on a show like this and you can go “Hey, we do that!” In this case it’s the mulled wine kit gift idea. Everyone seems to love it when they get it, though, as there is wine involved, what's not to like… I do wonder, though, how many people take time to mull the wine? Maybe our friends all have kitchen drawers full of the mulling spices we’ve given them over the years.

The Fruitcake - I love it but I’m ashamed to admit my generation is the first not to make our own. Is this the year? Probably not, we have a couple of faves that we get every year and have become traditional for us. (Plus the wife detests marzipan)

Episode 7 Couch Potatoes

Nice enough episode but none of the comfort food recipes really do it for me.

Episode 8 Leftovers



From nothing looks great to everything looks great. Though where I’ll find green ginger wine, for the trifle, is anyone's guess.

Episode 9 Showing Off



Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'm a big "no thanks" to Lobster Mac and Cheese - two tastes that taste great - until you cook them together. Equally as controversial perhaps - I love me some Brussels sprouts, so the sprouts and bacon salad has a good chance of getting in my belly come December.