Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Yule Logged: The Knight Before Christmas, Christmas Wedding Planner, Angie Tribecca, Baby Daddy, Holiday for Heroes , A Godwink Christmas: Meant for Love





The Knight Before Christmas (2019)

This is pretty much review proof. The target audience will love it. I’m not part of the target audience so the best I can do is say it’s well made with engaging performances. I’ll never watch it again but, it wasn’t made for me so that’s no knock on the film. It will make its fans very happy, I should think.





Christmas Wedding Planner (2017)

Okay, this is embarrassing. I just got finished telling you that a (young) female-focused romantic comedy was out of my wheelhouse and unreviewable and then my wife throws this fairly low budget offering on and I’m actually enjoying it. The script is surprisingly sharp, especially considering it’s based on a Harlequin romance. The leads are terrific, and the low budget is handled pretty well.

So, even when your not the target audience it’s still possible to enjoy a cheesy Christmas romance if a modicum of effort is made by the filmmakers.My only real complaints are that it undersells the Christmas a little bit and some weak supporting players.





Angie Tribecca - Freezing Cold Prestige Drama (2018)

Not actually a Christmas episode but this Fargo pastiche is pretty solid and there’s a snowman and a snippet of The Nutcracker Suite. Plus it's one of the most restrained episodes in the series.






Baby Daddy - A Wheeler Family Christmas Outing  - S1 E9 (2012)

Ah, the irony. Watching a (sort of) Christmas episode where a middle-aged father of three comes out, while dressed as a nativity character, on the network that began as Pat Robertson’s CBN. If only Baby Daddy, which somehow ran for five seasons, had been funny it might have mattered. There’s at least one other Christmas episode but I’ll pass for now.

.



Holiday for Heroes (2019)

Better than average.

Is it Hallmark? Yeah.

Does it look like Christmas? Sure.

Does it sound like Christmas? A little.

Does it feel like Christmas? I guess.

Did it make me cry? Nope.

Did I finish it? Yep.

Is it a good movie? It’s okay.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? See above.




A Godwink Christmas: Meant for Love (2019)

I hated the first but I suppose it went over well with the Halmarkies because this exists. I didn’t hate this one, but I lost interest early on.

Is it Hallmark? Of course

Does it look like Christmas? Like Balsam Hill exploded

Does it feel like Christmas? Despite the over the top decor - not much.

Did I finish it? I didn’t turn it off.

Is it a good movie? Of its type.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? Who am I to say?