Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Yule Logged: The Santa Stakeout, Much Ado About Christmas, Christmas in My Heart, Christmas Carousel, Sue Thomas F.B.Eye, One Ham's Family

 



The Santa Stakeout (2021)

Oh, what could have been… I love the genre blend adding a light mystery to the usual holiday mix, but the script lets it down, as usual. All the screenwriters had to do was binge watch a season or two of Castle and Psych and a couple of episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and just absorb the vibes through osmosis. But nooooo…

Everyone involved puts in just enough effort to keep things bouncing along innocuously and it does have Joey Pants, so there’s that.

Rating: Two and a quarter tasers as a real movie, two and two-third gingerbread handcuffs as a Christmas movie.




Christmas in my Heart (2021)

So, the first movie of the season that I thought was pretty good turns out to be, not a comedy, or a romantic comedy, or a fantasy - genres I have an affinity for - but a soapy drama, which I'm generally not a fan of. But, Christmas in my Heart, despite it's generic, low effort title, is an above average entry and a nice surprise. 

While I doubt I'll feel the urge to view it again in the future, I really appreciated the above-average performances from most of the cast, the thoughtful script, and tasteful production. I want to take this as a sign that the genre has taken a step-up quality-wise. So, fingers crossed my next few watches turn out this well.

Rating: Two and seven eighths rosin bags as a regular old movie, three and a half Stradivari as a TV Christmas flick




A Christmas Carousel (2020)

Rachel Boston keeps this one spinning on pure charm alone. There’s nothing much else beyond the usual Royal romance nonsense and that’s been done better, elsewhere and often.

Rating: Two tiaras as a film,  two and a half royal weddings as a Christmas film.




Much Ado About Christmas (2021)

The first GAC Christmas offering is a familiar, though above average, holiday romance. The scripts a little bit sharper than usual and there are some decent performances. Nothing groundbreaking but I didn’t feel like drowning myself in nog to escape it.

Rating: Two and a third bespoke Christmas scarves as a film, two and seven eighths festive baubles as a Crimble romp.





Sue Thomas F.B. Eye S1 E8 Silent night (2002)

First Viewing.

Set in The District of British Columbia, judging from the odd D.C / Canadian mash-up and awkward attempts at “American” dialogue, Sue Thomas F.B. Eye follows the adventures of a deaf F.B.I agent and her co-workers.

It’s always tricky when a series’ Christmas episode serves as an introduction to the show, but this was not bad at all, for a turn of the century Canadian show, and Silent Night has more than enough Christmas in it to be a worthwhile holiday viewing even for those new to the series so long as you go in with modest expectations.




One Ham’s Family (1943)

In this yule set sequel to The Three Little Pigs, and possible inspiration for Home Alone, The Big Bad Wolf seeks revenge on one of the Pigs (and his family!) by impersonating Santa. and gets more than he bargained for from the youngest member of the family. 

A fun and surprising anarchic treat I hadn’t seen in years.


Soundtrack


While writing these reviews I was listening to the new holiday release from soft rock legends Orleans and it’s pretty good. (I’ll have a, slightly, more in-depth review coming up in my next New Christmas Release post.)...


…. And the 2012 seasonal album Decembersanger from Swedish artist Martin Stenmark