Friday, December 16, 2022

New Christmas Releases (Cliff Richard, Neil Diamond, Cassie and Maggie, Snow Blossoms, La chorale de Y'a du monde à messe, Aled and Russell and more...)

 





A Neil Diamond Christmas

I'm generally a fan of Neil's Christmas stuff, and everything here is previously released, but I was fairly meh about this compilation. Maybe it's just not programmed to my taste, so don't let that stop you from checking it out.



 A Very Very Cassie and Maggie Christmas 


A fine collection of original festive tunes and engaging arrangements of old favorites from popular Canadian folk duo.


Christmas with Cliff

Cliff Richard


Another legendary artist defies the ravages of time, though not quite as extraordinarily as Johnny Mathis. Cliff's voice and delivery aren't what they once were but he's still produced a holiday album well above the standard set by many contemporary acts.  I'm absolutely grading on a curve cause I've always been a fan so listen accordingly.


 

Snow Blossoms: Lost Country Christmas Classics 

Terrific collection of lesser known holiday tunes


Home For Christmas
Con Funk Shun

Started slow, but after a couple of iffy tracks, the songs really start to work - Christmas Kind of Day, My Favorite Things, Do You Hear What I Hear, and Christmas for Two are prime cuts


 Second Edition: A Very South Bay Xmas 

I didn't really find anything worth hearing again apart from  Mack Ogden's My Holiday Angel. YMMV, and it's for charity, so check it out at Bandcamp


Juste après novembre

La chorale de Y'a du monde à messe

I know nothing about this group from Quebec but their Christmas album is emerging as one of my favorites this season.


Holly Jolly Christmas / On Christmas Eve - John Owen-Jones



Christmas with Aled and Russell

Solid Classical Crossover Christmas Collection

.

White Winter Hymnal - Jade Bird 

Not the best cover of of this tune I have but not at all poor.


Santa Train - Paige King Johnson



Lit Up Like a Christmas Tree - Aidan & the Wild