Saturday, October 26, 2019

Yule Logged: Day One... It begins!



Hallmark started it's Countdown to Christmas so here it goes. I'll be logging my holiday viewing with my entirely subjective and often cynical capsule reviews. 
I'll be logging all my holiday entertainment watching, not just Hallmark. No, I don't think anyone cares that much. Hopefully, though, I can steer some folks towards some festive fun they might have missed otherwise, and give fair warning on what they might want to avoid where necessary.




A Merry Christmas Match (2019)

Not a great start to the Hallmark holiday season. Awkward Christmas romance that feels like a low rent rip off of a mediocre Hallmark flick.

Is it Hallmark? Yes

Is it terrible? Not terrible.

Is it Christmastime? Yes.

Does it look like Christmas? I guess.

Does it sound like Christmas? eh.

Does it feel like Christmas? Not really, not organically.

Did it make me cry? No, I yawned a fair bit though.

Did I finish it? I did not.

Film Rating: Not good. Not terrible.

Christmas Movie Rating: Not good, with frozen hot chocolate.




5 Star Christmas (2018)

Italian political bedroom farce.

Is it Hallmark? Nope, Netflix.

Is it Christmastime? Si.

Does it look like Christmas? incidental  decor, an apparently dead Santa Claus gets Weekend at Bernied.

Does it sound like Christmas? Nope

Does it feel like Christmas? Nope

Did it make me cry? Don’t be a stunod!

Did I finish it? Yes, but I was bored.

Film rating: Loads of political humor, probably funnier if you’re up on Italian current events circa 2018. Not terrible but nothing I’d revisit.

Christmas Movie Rating: Not a Christmas flick




Christmas at Holly Lodge (2017)

Christmas romance front loads a bunch of sentimental triggers, which all pay off eventually.

Is it Hallmark? Yes.

Greedy business people? You know it.

Causing romantic conflict? Oh yeah.

Is it terrible? Fortunately not. Nor is it particularly memorable.

.Is it Christmastime? Yup.

Does it look like Christmas? Oh yeah.

Does it Sound like Christmas? Pretty much.

Does it feel like Christmas? Sure.

Did it make me cry? It was only a little bit of dust in my eyes….

Did I finish it? Yes, but I multi tasked.

Film Rating: Typical Hallmark sentimental romance - hospitality division.

Christmas Movie Rating: See above but with tinsel.




A Town Without Christmas (2001)

A child’s note threatening suicide starts us on our holiday adventure. The cast, including Patricia Heaton, Ernie Hudson, and Peter Falk, make this one worthwhile despite the initially dark premise.

Begat a pair of Falk featured sequels.

Is it Hallmark? Nope, but is airing on Hallmark. Originally premiered on CBS.

Is it Christmastime? Indeed.

Does it look like Christmas? Yes.

Does it sound like Christmas? Sure.

Does it feel like Christmas? Pretty much.

Did it make me cry? Nope.

Did I finish it? Yep.

Film Rating: Emotionally manipulative drama mixed with fantasy.Not totally my thing but good for what it is.

Christmas Movie Rating: Certainly more complex than most modern Hallmark fare. Not a film for the whole family.