Saturday, October 26, 2019

Yule Logged: Sweet Mountain Christmas, What I Did For Love, Christmas Joy, A Christmas Tail






Sweet Mountain Christmas (2019)

You can go home again, at Christmas. Decent iteration of some familiar tropes.Above-average performances.

Is it Hallmark? Next best thing - Lifetime

Is it Christmastime? Yes, ma’am.

Does it look like Christmas? Sure.

Does it sound like Christmas? Yup.

Does it feel like Christmas? Pretty much.

Did it make me cry? Naw.

Did I finish it? Yes.

Is it a good movie? It’s fine.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? It’s fine.





What I Did For Love (2007)

Fish out of water LA lawyer meets fiance’s rugged disgruntled rural family. By the director of, the superior, Hardbodies and Beethoven’s Fifth.

Is it Hallmark? Yes

Greedy Businessmen? Yep, lawyers.

Is it Christmastime? Yes

Does it look like Christmas? A little bit, eventually.

Does it sound like Christmas? meh.

Does it feel like Christmas? No.

Did it make me cry? Nope

Did I finish it?  With help from the ffwd button.

Is it a good film? No. A poor effort.

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  Not surprised they didn’t play up holiday angle in the title. A lump of coal.





Christmas Joy (2018)

A career woman reluctantly returns to her hometown for the holidays. Danielle Panabaker stars.

Is it Hallmark? Yes

Greedy Business-people?  Sort of.

Does the heroine run a Christmas event? Yep - the Cookie Crawl!

Romantic interest in hometown? Natch.

Is it Christmastime? Yep.

Does it look like Christmas? Sure.

Does it sound like Christmas? Pretty much.

Does it feel like Christmas? Sure.

Did it make me cry? Nope.

Did I finish it? Yeah, half-heartedly.

Is it a good film? It’s fine.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? My wife liked it and she’s the target demo so I guess that’s a recommendation.




A Christmas Tail (2014)

Excruciating romantic comedy. Single parents fight over custody of a dog. Really.

Is it Hallmark? No.

Is it Christmastime? Yes.

Does it look like Christmas? Basically.

Does it sound like Christmas? Not much.

Does it feel like Christmas? Nope.

Did it make me cry?  Nope.

Did I finish it? Nope.

Is it a good movie? Not great.

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  Nope