Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Yule Logged: Holiday Spin, Switched for Christmas, Marry Me For Christmas, Bad Santa


Some context - I'm still at the random viewing stage. Not watching any of the classics this early and there's not much new stuff out there yet. Figured it's a good time to see if I can find a Hallmark type Christmas movie worth watching more than once. Also clearing room on the DVR , and various queues, of holiday stuff I hadn't gotten around to before.

I'm not the target demo for much of this stuff but, the Hallmark / Lifetime style Christmas programming has been dominating the holiday genre recently, that I figure I should give it a try. 




Holiday Spin (2012)

Teen drama follows a dancer and a fighter and a dance competition. They've put a holiday skin on it but it's just rote, low budget, melodrama.

Is it Hallmark? Lifetime.

Any special guest stars? Ralph Macchio.

Is it Christmastime? Yes

Does it look like Christmas? A bit.

Does it sound like Christmas? Not much.

Does it feel like Christmas? No.

Did it make me cry? No.

Did I finish it? No.

Is it a good movie?  No.

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  It's not a Christmas movie.




Switched for Christmas (2017)

Figured this was a Freaky Friday kinda deal but it's more of a Parent Trap as identical twins change places to prove something or other about who has the tougher life.

It's no masterpiece but star Candace Cameron Bure is always solid and it's not unwatchable.

Is it Hallmark? Yep.

Is it Christmastime? Indeed.

Does it look like Christmas? Sure. Thanks to Balsam Hill's copious product placement.

Does it sound like Christmas? Pretty much.

Does it feel like Christmas? Sure.

Did it make me cry?  No

Laugh? Not really.

Did I finish it? Yep.

Is it a good movie? Meh.

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  It's OK.




Marry Me For Christmas (2013)

Fake fiance trope. Not bad. Cast is good and there are a few nice moments.

Is it Hallmark? Nope, Up!.

Is it Christmastime? Yep.

Does it look like Christmas? Pretty much.

Does it sound like Christmas? A bit,

Does it feel like Christmas? Sure.

Did it make me cry? Nope.

Laugh? Couple of times.

Did I finish it? I did.

Is it a good movie? Meh.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? You could do worse.





Bad Santa (2003)

Hoped I'd like this better on re watch but all these years later it still bores me. Nice cast though, definitely could have worked with a better, funnier script.