Friday, November 1, 2019

Yule Logged: Christmas Wonderland, Gift of the Magi, Christmas in Love, A Cinderella Christmas


I had a little Hallmark marathon to celebrate the official start to my Christmas season and it didn't go well. I'm like Fox Mulder, I Want to Believe. I want to believe there are good, not great, not classic, simply good Christmas TV movies still being made. But so far...

If you like, or even love, these films that's terrific. I envy you, I wish I did too. I love Christmas and would be thrilled to come home every night to a cozy bit of holiday cheer on my TV. Hopefully, with so many films being produced each year, I'll uncover a few gems before too long. My search goes on...




Christmas Wonderland (2018)

Dull as dishwater paint my numbers Hallmark/

Is it Hallmark? Yes

Is it Christmastime? Yes

Does it look like Christmas? Enough

Does it sound like Christmas? Meh

Does it feel like Christmas? Meh

Did it make me cry? No

Did I finish it? No

Is it a good movie? Nope

Is it a good Christmas Movie? It’s below average for a Hallmark.



Gift of the Magi (2010)

Bland and superficial low budget update of the classic O. Henry story. How do you ruin such a perfect story?

Is it Hallmark? It’s on Hallmark.

Is it Christmastime? Yes

Does it look like Christmas? Meh

Does it sound like Christmas? Meh

Does it feel like Christmas? No.

Did it make me cry? Yes, for O. Henry

Did I finish it? No.

Is it a good movie? Not really, no.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? It’s a lost opportunity and a big disappointment.




Christmas in Love (2018)

My eyes glaze over whenever I see the word CEO in a Christmas film’s description.

Is it Hallmark? Yup.

By the Director of? An actual very good Christmas movie - A Child’s Christmas in Wales.

Is it Christmastime? Indeed.

Does it look like Christmas? Sure

Does it sound like Christmas? Yep particularly liked the version of Jingle Bells under the opening credits.

Does it feel like Christmas? I guess.

Did it make me cry?  Nope.

Laugh? Nope

Want a Kringle? Absolutely!

Did I finish it?  Yes, the movie that is, haven’t gotten the Kringle yet.

Is it a good movie?  Not really.

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  I had such high hopes, despite the cliched plot, thanks to the director but I don’t think anybody could elevate this script and these actors above mediocrity.



A Cinderella Christmas (2016)

A hardworking, independently financially secure, smart and very pretty event planner is hardly Cinderella and this is hardly a good film.

Is it Hallmark? It’s on their app, they get the blame.

Is it Christmastime? Yes.

Does it look like Christmas? Good enough.

Does it sound like Christmas? Meh.

Does it feel like Christmas? Meh.

Did it make me cry?  No.

Did I finish it?  No.

Is it a good movie?  No.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? No, though it’s not awful..