Thursday, November 7, 2019

Yule Logged: A Christmas Carol (2000), Discover Christmas, The Christmas Consultant, Welcome Back Kotter





A Christmas Carol (2000)

Ross Kemp stars in this gritty update of the classic tale. Loan shark Eddie Scrooge gets the multi-spirit treatment in turn of the (21st) century London.

I’ll bet the budget for this wasn’t much more than one of the better Hallmarks and yet the quality difference is absurd.

Is it Hallmark? Nope, LWT, British TV.

Does it look like Christmas? Yep.

Does it sound like Christmas? Sure.

Does it feel like Christmas? Mean streets of London Christmas, but yeah.

Did it make me cry? Nope

Did I finish it? Yep. I watch it every couple of years.

Is it a good movie? Yeah.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? Very, one of the better Carol adaptations.




Discover Christmas (2011)

Children’s educational program explaining various aspects of the Christmas story. Good for what it is.




The Christmas Consultant (2012)

The Hoff, at his campiest, highlights this quirky Christmas comedy. It’s no work of genius but at least the script is less cliched than usual.

Is it Hallmark? Nope, Lifetime

Does it look like Christmas? Yep.

Does it sound like Christmas? Sure.

Does it feel like Christmas? A wacky one, but yes.

Did it make me laugh?  A few times

Did I finish it? Yes plus it’s a rewatch

Is it a good movie? Not so much.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? If you can stand the Hoff Hoffing then yes.




Welcome Back Kotter - A Winter’s Coat Tale (S4 E13 -1978)

Well, that was disappointing. I grew up watching Welcome Back Kotter. I had the tie-in novels, comic books. I was a fan. I have no recollection of this episode. No Mr. Kotter, no laughs. Atrocious acting, threadbare script. The ‘highlight” is Vinnie decorating his Christmas Tree with cooked spaghetti.

Christmas Episode or Special? Episode.

Am I familiar with the series? Yes.

Is it Christmassy? Somewhat.

Would I Rewatch? Oh God, no.