Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Yule Logged: Picture a Perfect Christmas, Christmas in Evergreen, Christmas Town, Santa’s Magic Toy Bag, Gumby



Audiobooks:



Yule Log Murder by Leslie Meier

Dull. Would fit in perfectly as a Hallmark Mystery movie, if fact it would be better as one.



The Christmas Stories of Charles Dickens read by Michael Page

Pleasent, well narrared collection of some of Dicken’s lesser known Christmas writing.

Music:

Occasional forays into Sirius XM Holiday Traditions and some George Winston, Kate Rusby and Manheim Steamroller. Nothing new has really caught my ear yet, though the Magne Furuholmen album shows promise.

Movies and TV:



Picture a Perfect Christmas (2019)

I don’t know which is worse, movies that are Hopeless from the jump due to low budgets or under experienced artists, or flicks like this that, by all rights, should have been a pleasant momentary diversion, but was just more bleh. It wasn’t bad it just wasn’t present. Two or three of these a year is one thing, three or four a week just puts me to sleep.

Is it Hallmark? Yes.

Does it look like Christmas? Yes

Does it feel like Christmas? I guess

Did I finish it? No, and it bothers me ‘cause I usually only bail on bad movies. But boring and predictable is becoming the new bad for me.

Is it a good movie? It’s okay.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? Anybody else would probably like it a lot. I’m just becoming more like Grinchy.




Christmas in Evergreen (2017)

Is this is as good as it gets with the Hallmark Christmas romance genre? I mean, they made two sequels so it must have been popular. The script is so blah. I get that these flicks are a comfort thing, simple, predictable, but why can’t they be funny? Why can’t the supporting players be experienced character actors instead of bland day-players? These movies make bank, they can afford a few grand more for better actors. Can’t even blame Canadian location shooting since some of the very best character actors are from the great white north.

Is it Hallmark? To the point of parody, just not funny.

From the director of? Inspector Gadget 2, Beverly Chihuahua 2, Tooth Fairy 2, Jingle All the Way 2 and Dr. Dolittle 5. Ironically he did not direct the sequel to Evergreen - either or them.

Does it look like Christmas? Sure

Does it sound like Christmas? Enough

Does it feel like Christmas?  Like a fake Hallmark Christmas.

Did it make me cry? Nope

Laugh? Nope

Did I finish it? Yes, but it didn’t hold my attention.

Is it a good movie? For a basic cable TV movie

Is it a good Christmas Movie? Some would say so.





Christmas Town (2008)

Diven real estate agent, and crappy mom, visits estranged father in Magical Christmas town. Romance and redemption ensue.

Is it Hallmark? Idk

From the director of? Seduced by Lies, Stranger in my Bed, Aliens in the Wild, Wild West, Text to Kill and multiple Snake Eater films (starring Lorenzo Lamas!)

Does it look like Christmas? I guess

Does it feel like Christmas? Meh

Did I finish it? Yep

Is it a good movie?  Nope

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  Not so much.




Santa’s Magic Toy Bag (1983)

From the creator of ALF. comes the story of an ELF.suffering from a crisis of Christmas confidence. Some nice puppetry and a pleasant enough tale, though whenever I hear Santa talk I still hear ALF.

Deserves to less obscure.




Gumby’s Christmas Capers

From puppets to claymation with some vintage Gumby action. I grew up watching Gumby re-runs on Sunday mornings but they were never a huge favorite of mine.

The combined Christmas Carol  / Sherlock Holmes / Santa Claus pastiche isn’t great but it is the highlight.