Thursday, November 7, 2019

Yule Logged: Annie Claus is Coming to Town, All She Wants for Christmas, Small Town Christmas, Christmas in the Air , Three Wise Women, Small Gifts




Annie Claus is Coming to Town (2011)

So many tropes - Santa's daughter leaves the North Pole, Santa has a power-hungry assistant, politics at the North Pole, failing toy shop run by a cute guy, evil superstore and a looming bank payment. And that’s all in the first ten minutes. Throw in a single mom with an adorable kid dealing with mean girls, a Christmas pageant and an evil fake boyfriend.

And I still liked it.

Is it Hallmark? Yep.

Guest stars? Vicki Lawrence!

Does it look like Christmas? Sure

Does it sound like Christmas? Yep

Does it feel like Christmas? Yes

Did it make me cry? It came close at the end.

Did I finish it? Yes.

Is it a good movie? Okay.

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  Sure. Not great but I enjoyed it. I think I may have seen this years ago so it’s actually a re watch.




All She Wants for Christmas (2006)

A terrible effort from Lifetime.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? No.




Small Town Christmas (2018)

Property development trope. Love triangle. Idyllic Christmas town.Decently made but instantly forgettable.

Is it Hallmark? Yes.

Does it look like Christmas? Y

Does it sound like Christmas? Enough.

Does it feel like Christmas? Y

Did it make me cry? Nope

Did I finish it? Yep.

Is it a good movie?  Meh.

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  It’s not bad.




Christmas in the Air (2017)

Good Witch Catherine Bell stars as Professional Organizer Lydia who turns her attention to an overworked single dad/toy inventor.

Is it Hallmark? Yes

Does it look like Christmas? Sure

Does it sound like Christmas? I guess

Does it feel like Christmas? Enough

Did it make me cry? No

Did I finish it? Yes, but I was bored.

Is it a good movie? Meh

Is it a good Christmas Movie? It’s passable, especially if you’re a fan of Bell or co-star Eric Close.




Three Wise Women (2010)

Some serious trope crossing with a guardian angel, a woman who is her own spirit of Christmas past, and future, bad boyfriend, career-obsessed heroine, rekindled love from the past and so on. And yet it all works surprisingly well.

Quite good for the genre.

Is it Hallmark? Watched it on Hallmark but it’s an Irish production so idk who’s responsible.

Guest stars? Fionnula Flanagan, John Rhys-Davies

Does it look like Christmas? Sure

Does it sound like Christmas? Sure

Does it feel like Christmas? Yes

Did it make me cry? Nope.

Laugh? A bit.

Did I finish it?  Yes

Is it a good movie?  Not bad.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? Yes, yes it is.




Small Gifts (1993)

The Gift of the Magi,  hardscrabble Canadian style. Solid holiday drama, if a bit grim at times.. Shot on film, crafted not just shat out on an assembly line. Those were the days.

Is it Hallmark? Watched it on their app, but it was originally from the CBC.

Is it Christmastime? Yes

Does it look like Christmas? Yep

Does it sound like Christmas? Sure

Does it feel like Christmas? A bit rough around the edges but sure.

Did it make me cry?  Nope.

Did I finish it? Yes.

Is it a good movie? Yes

Is it a good Christmas Movie? Not cheerful Christmas or even heartwarming Christmas but yes, it'd pretty good.



My Santa, My Dad (1998)

Unwatchable




A Belle for Christmas (2014)

Oof...