Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Yule Logged: Christmas at the Palace, Finding Santa, Christmas on Chestnut Street, Santa's Slay, The Christmas Cabin


Music:




Mostly listemning to Satelite and Internet radio on and off, haven't really gotten into the Christmss music groove yet. One new track I am enjoying is Oh Land's "Wishes"


Movies and TV:





The Christmas Cabin (2019)

Remarkably unremarkable. I don’t want to hate on the cast and crew, I’m sure they’re lovely hard-working artists and craftspersons, but this film, while not incompetently made, has little to recommend it, it’s sub-Hallmark.





Santa's Slay (2005)

I guess this was supposed to be the r-rated answer to Gremlins, Scrooged,  National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and so forth. Considering the talent and non-micro budget this should have been better than it is. I’m sure there’s an audience for a foul-mouthed killer Santa movie, produced by Brett Ratner,  that wastes Robert Culp, James Caan and Chris Kattan (any movie where Kattan is slumming has a problem) but it isn’t me. The script is just garbage.





Christmas on Chestnut Street (2006)

Not great but… I watched it all the way through. Definitely better than average. Did I actually like this? Oh my gosh, I think I liked it. What is happening to me?





Finding Santa (2017)

So the premise is an entire town’s livelihood depends on the local year round Christmas store and the annual holiday parade they organize. When their beloved Santa gets injured the only possible replacement is the hurt Santa’s son, a skinny young guy who doesn’t look like, act like or sound like Santa and aggressively avoids taking the job. This is the story set up they went with. A son rebelling against his dad wanting him to take over his Santa business. Whatever.

Obviously everything works out and it’s an okay flick, if you ignore the utterly stupid premise.''





Christmas at the Palace (2018)

If royal Christmas romance is your bag you’ll probably love Christmas at the Palace, but it just wasn’t for me.