Monday, November 25, 2019

Yule Logged: Turkey Drop, Ozzie and Harriet, Two and a Half Men, B.C. The First Thanksgiving, Accidental Family, Davey and Goliath,Still Standing





Turkey Drop (2019)

While I’m probably even less the target audience for a Freeform original than I am for Hallmark/Lifetime this was decidedly okay. I doubt I’ll ever watch it again but it effectively killed a couple of hours without making me want to poke my eyes out. So that’s nice.






Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet - Day After Thanksgiving (1952)

A solid holiday episode built around Thanksgiving leftovers.





Two and a Half Men  - Merry Thanksgiving  s1e10 (2003)

When watching 2 1/2 Men you have to try to separate the series from the Charlie Sheen drama baggage, though guest star Denise Richards makes that a bit trickier. But once you focus on the show, instead of the behind the scenes nonsense, it still isn’t very funny.






B.C. The First Thanksgiving (1973)

Back in my comic strip reading days I could take or leave B.C. but I never really warmed to their TV specials. This Thanksgiving one isn’t terrible but it isn’t good either. Plus, the whole B.C. thing makes doing a Thanksgiving special pretty much pointless.





Accidental Family - What is this Thanksgiving or a Nightmare (1967)

Pretty good Jerry Van Dyke led sitcom. Dysfunctional family stuff with a great supporting cast including Jim Backus. Of its time but very good.






Davey and Goliath - The Pilgrim Boy  (1960)

Vintage religious claymation version of the Thanksgiving Story. I remember watching this as a kid. It is whar it is.





Still Standing  - Still Thankful (2002)

Mark Addy’s dodgy American accent always bugged me but this was a decent sitcom. Usual dysfunctional family stuff.