Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Yule Logged: Heathcliff, Christmas Incorperated, The Thanksgiving House, Hollidaysburg, Christmas on the Bayou, Carole's Christmas, Magic Christmas Shoes,, Three Wise Boys





Heathcliff - North Pole Cat (1985)

Back in the day, Heathcliff was aways that other cat comic strip/cartoon. I didn’t mind the strip but the toon was pretty bad, and this holiday installment is pretty annoying. Not awful but nothing I can recommend

Tropes include a malcontent elf and Santa’s workshop as a business where elves get fired and rehired.





Christmas Incorperated (2015)

Middling holiday corporate versus small-town romance. Not the worst thing I watched today. Never need to see it again.




The Thanksgiving House (2013)

Proof that Christmas isn’t the only holiday Hallmark can expoit with mediocre low budget romances.

Is it Hallmark? Yup

From the director of?  Motel Hell, From Beyond the Grave, The House Where Evil Dwells (All of which I would have rather watched)

Is it Christmastime? No, Thanksgiving

Did I finish it? Begrudgingly

Is it a good movie? Meh

Is it a good Thanksgiving Movie? Meh



Hollidaysburg (2014)

College friends reunite over Thanksgiving break.

A little edgier than I like my holiday entertainment but, I have to admit it’s pretty well made. For what it is, it’s good,  just not my cup of gravy.





Christmas on the Bayou (2019)

This one was worth it just for Ed Asner’s cajun Santa.  Maybe my favorite so far this year, though that bar is admittedly, pathetically low. A nice cast, a better than an average script, decent direction. Not a classic but a step in the right direction.




Carole's Christmas (2019)

One of the most competent David DeCocteau flicks I’ve ever watched part of (see Santa’s Summer House, DB Cooper vs Bigfoot, A Talking Cat! amongst too many others).

Jackee Harry is the Clarence to Kimberly Elise’s George Bailey but it’s a pretty dull life.





The Magic Christmas Shoes (2019)

So long as they’re not the ones from that damn song.

Actually, this was not at all good, but at least it didn’t make me cry. Or laugh. Or care at all. Or finish it.




Three Wise Boys (1963)

A wholesome short film about three young brothers who learn the true meaning of Christmas. Faith-based, it does take a low key anti-Santa stand so the younger set might not be the best audience, if that might be a problem.