Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Yule Logged: 12 Days of Christmas Eve, With Love, Christmas, A Different Kind of Christmas, A Bad Moms Christmas, Road to Christmas



12 Days of Christmas Eve (2004)

Disappointing Groundhog Day trope variation starring a sleepwalking Steven Weber and a creepy Molly Shannon. The script is not good, not good at all, and only the two leads even register a pulse on screen.

Groundhog Day is on the easiest tropes to adapt, along with A Christmas Carol (redemption through nostalgia, guilt, and fear)  and Christmas in Connecticut (a fake significant other for the holidays), and this one does everything wrong.

Is it Hallmark? I don’t know.

From the Director of? Valley Girl, Real Genius, Dorothy Dandridge. Right, I know! How this ended up so meh I don’t get.

Does it look like Christmas? Occasionally.

Does it sound like Christmas? Not very.

Does it feel like Christmas? No.

Did it make me cry? No

Laugh? Nope.

Did I finish it? Yep.

Is it a good movie? Not really.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? Not very good at all.






With Love, Christmas (2017)

Decent enough by the numbers romantic comedy. That this is is one of the best Hallmarks I’ve seen so far this year is sad. The female lead is pleasant, male lead a charisma vacuum.

Is it Hallmark? Yes

Is it Christmastime? Yep.

Does it look like Christmas? Pretty much.

Does it sound like Christmas? Enough

Does it feel like Christmas? A bit.

Did it make me cry? No.

Laugh? No

Did I finish it? Yes

Is it a good movie? Very generic.

Is it a good Christmas Movie? It’s okay.




A Different Kind of Christmas (1996)

Generally the older the TV movie the better, but despite Shelly Long and Barry Bostwick this one’s still pretty average. That said, there is an actual original script, real actors actually acting and a director directing a film and not an infomercial or student film.That said it’s no great shakes.


Is it Hallmark? I don’t know, where it originally aired back in the day. I saw it on That TV

Is it Christmastime? No. (Finally got to write that!)

Does it look like Christmas? Sometimes.

Does it sound like Christmas? Sometimes.

Does it feel like Christmas? Sometimes.

Did it make me cry? Nope.

Did I finish it? Yep.

Is it a good movie? It’s decent.

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  Good enough.




A Bad Moms Christmas (2017)

So, an edgy/cringy try hard Hallmark movie. A bigger budget, better cast, and crew, and not a shred of self-respect.

I didn’t see the first Bad Moms but I’m guessing I didn’t miss much.

Is it Hallmark? Obviously not, but it’s just as cliched.

Is it Christmastime? Yep.

Does it look like Christmas? Sure.

Does it sound like Christmas? In between the swearing and vag jokes.

Does it feel like Christmas? Not my Christmas.

Did it make me cry? In despair for modern pop culture.

Laugh? A couple of times.

Did I finish it? I ended up multitasking, so the second half is a bit fuzzy.

Is it a good movie? No.

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  No.




Road to Christmas (2018)

A slightly more original story but same old boring, generic production.Not bad but not memorable.

Is it Hallmark? Yes.

Is it Christmastime? Yes.

Does it look like Christmas? Sure.

Does it sound like Christmas? Sure.

Does it feel like Christmas? I guess.

Did it make me cry? No.

Laugh? No.

Did I finish it? Yep.

Is it a good movie? Not great.

Is it a good Christmas Movie?  Decent enough.