Tuesday, November 3, 2020

New Christmas Releases: Carrie Underwood, Bird and the Bee, Carly Rae Jepson, Meghan Trainor, Rebekkah Bakken + more...


In this series of posts I'll be quickly reviewing new Christmas releases and noting if I've added them to my "New for 2020" playlists.. As always you will probably disagree with many of my opinions, I'm a grumpy old man after all, but you may also find some new holiday tunes to add to your own Christmas playlists. 

Shout out to christmasboy and stubbysfears at FaLaLaLaLa’s 2020 New and Re-Releases board for posting about many of the more obscure releases I’m listing to here.


Carrie Underwood - My Gift

More Christian Adult Contemporary than the modern country album I was expecting. Seems quite nice at first listen. Added



The Bird and the Bee - Put Up the Lights

Short but sweet, and dreamy, holiday album from Synthpop duo The Bird and the Bee. Their 2007 cover of Carol of the Bells is one of my all-time favorites. Added.


Josh Stewart Band - Holly Rockin Christmas

Okay collection of mostly countryish tunes with the occasional odd foray into cod symphonic rock territory. The best tracks sound like the sort of thing a lower budget hallmark style flick would us on its soundtrack. 



Rebekkah Bakken - Winter Nights

Fairly melancholy, yet lovely, album. Added



Tony Meade - Wassail

I’m not sure about this one. At first, I thought it was a bit meh but then Good King Wenceslas came on and really got my attention. I’m probably going to revisit this again. ?



Lizzy Hilliard - Cheer!

Just like Wassail, this one left me cold at first. Unlike Wassail things only went downhill the more I listened. On paper, this sounds like it would be right up my alley, but it actually grated on me. 


The Classern Quartet - A Very Classern Christmas

If you are a fan of basic string quartet arrangements of pop and rock tunes, a la

Vitamin String Quartet,  then this will be right up your alley.


Meghan Trainor A Very Trainor Christmas

Disposable pop, inexpertly crafted. Meghan Trainor fronting Earth Wind and Fire… 2020 amirite? 


Carly Rae Jepson - It’s Not Christmas Till Somebody Cries

Slightly better disposable pop. Add me maybe? Nope.