Tuesday, November 17, 2020

New Christmas Releases - Lady A, Tommee Profitt, Mans Zelmerlow, Happiest Season, Davi Freyr, Luke McMaster + more

 As ever these are just my snap judgement opinions, yours may, and probably will, vary. Which is why I try to provide samples so you can quickly check them out yourself. "Added" and "skipped" refer to my personal 2020 holiday listening library.


Staring out with some singles found via Scandipop's Christmas Playlist on Spotify

Mans Zelmerlow - Alone on Christmas Eve

Really nice single. Added



Jessica Andersson - Do You Hear the Bells

Not bad, not sure if it’s an add though.


Davi Freyr - Every Moment is Christmas with You

Always room for a bit of  quality electropop on the Christmas mix

Added.


Keiino - A Winter’s Night

Pretty good. Might add.


Dotter - Vintern jag var sexton (The winter I was sixteen)

Seems okay but not really grabbing me. Probably skipped.


The Mamas - A Christmas Night to Remember

Inconsequential, instantly forgettable pop but not offensively bad. Skipped


And on to other general new releases...


Lady A - On This Winter’s Night (Reissue with four new tracks)



What’s the point of changing your name when you know everyone is going to be referencing the name change for years to come? (I’ll be nice and only refence every article I’ve read about it referencing it)

Anyway four new tracks - one original - so, if you liked the original chart topping album I imagine you’ll dig this version. The new tracks won’t result in an add for me though. 

Happiest Season Soundtrack



Little worth listening to here. Bebe Rexha/Shea Diamonds “Blame it on Christmas” works, mostly because of the songs it blatantly plagiarized, Jake Wesley Roberts’ “Oh Holy Night” is a bit overwrought but not too bad, Brandi Clarks track doesn’t suck, umm, oh hey look it’s Tegan and Sara… with a disappointing generic synth pop track.

Nothing worth adding.


Tommee Profitt - The Birth of a King

Overwrought alternative Christian pop/rock for edgy teens?  I'm not sure what this genre is called these days bt this is a well crafted collection that just doesn't have the vibe I'm looking for in my Christmas listening these days. Maybe when I was a lot younger this would have been more relevant to me.

Not at all bad, but not an add.


Luke McMaster - Christmas Present

Perfectly acceptable, generic, Canadian blue eyed soul holiday album. I wouldn't walk out of a party if this was playing but I would assume someone was watching a supercut of Hallmark Christmas movie opening credit sequences. 

Skipped, except for his surprisingly solid , upbeat, cover of Christmas Must Be Tonight.